Over the years, we have all heard the famous words of wisdom like “actions speak louder than words”! The writer of the little New Testament letter entitled “1 John” said something related to that: “Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.”
It seems that in every congregation there are those special people who always seem to be doing something so thoughtful and caring for others. It makes me feel ashamed that I can fall so short in that area—caught up in my own priorities and “to do” list. Jesus says that loving others is one of the two great commandments—second only to loving God. It is amazing how a small act of love can make a big difference in the life of someone else. “Faith without works is dead!”
On April 22, we kicked off a summer initiative called “Summer of Serving: 2000 Acts of LOVE.” Our goal will be to perform 2000 acts of LOVE over a 14-week period (April 22 thru July 29). Every Sunday, you will find a paper heart in your worship bulletin and inviting you to perform an act of LOVE and kindness for someone else!
• What act of LOVE can you share with another person or a group of people? Challenge yourself to think “out of the box”!
• Write your name, your LOVE act and the # of people that may have been touched on your heart.
• Bring your heart back the next Sunday and put it in the offering plate.
• Returned hearts will be attached to streamers in the church areas.
Have an idea for a “group” Act of LOVE?
• How about outreach to a community group? A home repair project, washing windows or yard work for a neighbor? Got an idea that could use several folks working together?
• Email Anna Zartman at email@example.com to put your idea on our “Summer of Serving” bulletin board so others can contact you and join in (description of project, date, time and your contact info). We will publicize your event with your contact info on the bulletin board so that others can contact you and join in. Watch for displays of community ministries by the Outreach Team that could be an opportunity for you to care for others. If our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ, the best way to connect with others outside the church is to discover their needs and reach out in LOVE!
• Email pictures (with permission from participants) to Jessie North at firstname.lastname@example.org for use in the Good News and at our potluck celebration on July 29th after church. Remember that you must have permission from those in the picture! Questions? Email Pastor Cheryl at email@example.com.
Blessings, Pastor Cheryl