One of the highlights in my life was having my family and friends present when I graduated from Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary in 2001. It meant the world to have their support and encouragement during that 4-year time of learning. After graduation, I was “commissioned” as a “provisional elder” and appointed full-time to serve as the pastor at Morgantown UMC in Morgantown, Indiana, during the three-year residency required prior to approval for ordination. Did you know that The United Methodist Church has 13 seminaries in the U.S.?
- Boston University School of Theology (Boston MA)
- Candler School of Theology at Emory University (Atlanta GA)
- Claremont School of Theology (Claremont CA)
- Duke Divinity School (Durham NC)
- Gammon Theological Seminary (Atlanta GA)
- Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary (Evanston IL)
- Iliff School of Theology (Denver CO)
- Saint Paul School of Theology (Greater Kansas City area)
- Methodist Theological School in Ohio (Delaware OH)
- Perkins School of Theology (Dallas TX)
- Perkins School of Theology (Houston-Galveston Extension Program)
- Saint Paul School of Theology (Oklahoma City OK)
- United Theological Seminary (Dayton OH)
- Wesley Theological Seminary (Washington, DC)
In addition to those seminaries, there are others that have been approved by The United Methodist Church for the training of UM clergy. They must be approved based on their theology and ability to provide the faculty to teach required courses in United Methodist doctrine, polity and history. Louisville Seminary does that and was located near where I lived.
What about YOU? Could God be calling you into full-time Christian service? God has always called and equipped an unlikely cast of characters, but always those who have had a heart for God and a passion for the Gospel. It is critical that the church continue to give our young people opportunities to try their wings in ministry through worship, leadership, preaching, teaching and serving—they are our future pastors and Christian educators. Perhaps there is a future United Methodist bishop right in our midst!
Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
And congratulations to all of our 2018 graduates! We will celebrate with you on Graduation Sunday, April 29 in morning worship!
Blessings, Pastor Cheryl