June 15, 2020
We are living in challenging times and all institutions, families, individuals, communities and businesses have faced complex decisions. I want to share new information on behalf of the First Wayne Street UMC Reopening Team as decisions have been made regarding the initial reopening of First Wayne Street United Methodist Church and its ministries. Keep in mind that reopening decisions are made in an ever-changing environment and the team will continue to adjust as we see how things unfold. For some, we are reopening too soon and for others, not soon enough. But we are doing our best and I always think of John Wesley’s counsel — “do no harm.”
The decisions made come from broad consensus of the Reopening Team that is comprised of Pastor Cheryl, Pastor Jason, and representation from staff, lay leadership and Trustees, and, I believe, is grounded in listening to counsel from a variety of sources, yet making decisions that are best for our unique location and the situation of a pastoral transition.
- First Wayne Street UMC small groups such as ministry committees/teams, adult classes and study groups may meet at the church beginning Monday, July 6, 2020, but must contact Office Manager Connie Boren for options on where to meet. Different size rooms will be used for different size groups to social distance.
- Outside groups that normally use the church will not be scheduled at this time, but we will continue to monitor as things unfold depending on their size.
- In-person worship will begin on Sunday, July 19, 2020. Those services will be live-streamed and available for viewing anytime for those who are not yet comfortable worshipping in-person.
- Attendance initially will be limited to 100 to allow for safe-distancing and reservations will be needed by calling the church office (422-4681) by noon on Thursday. If reservation requests exceed 100, we will look at offering an additional service.
- Masks will be required for attendees and we will have them available if you need one.
- The church nursery will not be open at this time, but children’s church will be offered for children entering grades 1-5 in the fall.
- Coffee and donuts will not be served prior to the 10am service.
Thank you for your patience and support. Feel free to contact me through June 21 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lay Leader Ron Marker after June 21. Please continue to keep the team and the church in your prayers!